Experience On Your Side

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Custody & Support
  4.  » Child Custody & Visitation

Child Custody And Visitation Lawyer

When a separation or divorce involves children, custody and visitation are often of primary concern. When parents come to Katie L. Lewis, P.C. Family Law looking for a Dallas-based child custody and visitation attorney, they are often wondering what rules and regulations exist in Texas and what kinds of options are available to them. With family law specialization, our attorney knows exactly the types of issues you and your family may face.

Legal Versus Physical Custody

When thinking about custody, often parents are most concerned with where their child will live. When it comes to legal custody, however, of primary concern are parental rights, or the ability to make important decisions on behalf of a child. Legal custody involves making decisions about where a child may go to school and if a child is to receive medical treatment or see a psychologist.

It is possible for both parents to have equal legal custody, while one parent retains primary physical custody. Custody and support are often closely linked. Child support is calculated in relation to physical custody, and the non primary parent is typically obligated to help pay child support. Our attorney understands that every family situation is different, and your goals may change as the process continues. We will listen to your concerns and help you care for your family.

Visitation And Parenting Time

In cases where one parent is granted primary physical custody, the non primary parent is entitled to visitation, or parenting time. If you feel that your child’s other parent should not have equal access to your child and wish to limit their possession time, you must show the court that there has been a history or pattern of past or present child neglect, or physical or sexual abuse by one parent directed against the other parent, a spouse or a child. The court will always consider the best interest of the child.

Enforcement And Modification

There may be a time after your initial court order when circumstances have significantly changed. Perhaps one parent is not following the court’s order, wishes to relocate or has lost a job. In these situations, you may need to seek a custody modification or enforcement of your agreement. Speak to a lawyer by phone at 214-461-5028  or email us to set up a consultative appointment.