Speak with a Family Law Attorney

Please Note: While we all navigate and monitor the current situation impacting the world and more closely in the Dallas area, the offices of Katie L. Lewis, P.C. Family Law are open and fully functioning. We are prepared to work remotely and provide services virtually.
Virtual Meetings, Virtual Consults, Phone Consults.
We are here to help! Please feel free to reach out with any questions that you may have. We are available to discuss and brainstorm possible solutions. We wish you peace, comfort, safety and good health.

Expert Strategy For Your Family |Texas Board of Legal Specialization Family Law Attorney

Establishing or contesting paternity through tests

| Oct 8, 2018 | Paternity

In Texas and other states, unmarried parents can face additional hurdles to overcome when they are no longer together. In some cases, a mother or a father will take steps to establish paternity. Whether a mother is asserting that a man is the father when he is contesting it or a father is seeking to establish paternity following a breakup, it is important to understand the process one may go through to establish paternity.

In a contested paternity action, a genetic test may be requested. This test is known as a DNA test and could be used to determine if a man is the father when compared to other men that could also be the father. A paternity blood test of a paternity DNA test could help prove a man is or is not the father.

With regard to a blood test, this is known as a blood typing test. This means that the father’s blood type will be established to assess whether or not when combined with the mother, a feasible blood type arises. A DNA paternity test looks at genetic markers, looking at the DNA of each parent and of the child, helping them assess whether or not the child could be his.

Whether a paternity test is being taken to prove paternity or disprove it, once completed, the father in question may have enough reason to pursue child custody or visitation. On the flip side, it may be the information needed to stop child support payments because he or she in unrelated to the child.

How can we help?