Everyone Deserves A Fresh Start
Charlie R. Hodges
Many of Charlie's cases involve closely held corporations, partnerships, real estate and mineral interests, and foreign assets, and include the issues of characterization, tracing, valuation and reimbursement.
With more than 30 years of family law experience, Charlie has been the lead counsel in divorce and custody trials, both jury and non-jury, throughout Texas, and has successfully settled hundreds of divorce disputes in mediation. His clients include Fortune 500 executives, professional athletes, entrepreneurs, lawyers, doctors and "just plain folks." His clients are evenly split between husbands and wives.
Charlie has been named a Texas Super Lawyer for 18 consecutive years. He is the past chair of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Texas and he has been certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specializations as an expert in family law in Texas.
Charlie believes in keeping client's thoroughly informed and giving them realistic expectations about the range of possible results of the divorce. In addition, Charlie works regularly with the region's leading advisors and experts in areas such as tax law, accounting, trusts, financial planning, and forensic accounting as well as therapists, counselors and psychologists in custody matters.
Charlie is also a trained family law mediator and arbitrator.
Along the way, Charlie has represented:
- An executive of a Fortune 500 company In a divorce proceeding with foreign assets and complex stock options.
- A partner who specialized in corporate leveraged buyouts at one of the world's leading publicly traded management Investment companies, whose husband was a mortgage banker.
- A physician in a divorce with both property and custody Issues, and in which the valuation of a medical practice and several other medical entitles were Involved.
- An NBA player in drafting and negotiating a confidential prenuptial agreement.
- An NFL player in a case involving significant post-divorce enforcement Issues.
- An entrepreneur with a high-tech start up company in a divorce case Involving complex venture capital Issues.
- An NBA player In a multi-jurisdictional divorce and custody matter.
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- Doctorate of Jurisprudence
- University of Texas at Austin
- Bachelors Degree
- Vanderbilt University
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Dallas Bar Foundation
- State of Texas, Assistant Attorney General
- State of Texas, Special Counsel, Secretary of State
- United States Senator Lloyd Bentsen, Special Assistant
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section, Past Chair
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (past member Board of Governors), Fellow
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Texas Chapter, Past President
- American Bar Association’s Family Law Committee of the International Law Section, Former member and former Vice-chair
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, Member
- Dallas Bar Association’s Family Law Section (former Board of Directors), Member
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section's Pro Bono Committee, Past Chair
- Texas Family Law Foundation – President-Elect and Board of Trustees, Life Member
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Foundation (past member, Board of Directors), Life Member
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified In Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1989
- Re-Certified in Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2004, 2009, 2014, and 2019
Current Employment Position
- Of Counsel
- Family Law 100%
- Texas Super Lawyer, 2003-2022
- Dan Price Award 2016 - presented by the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Texas in recognition of an unreserved commitment to clients and the legal profession
- CEO Magazine Dallas' 500 Most Powerful Business and Professional Leaders in Dallas-Fort Worth, 2018